The project is an RTD Project within the 5th Framework Program of the European Union. The overall objective is to increase significantly the use of inland waterway as a key mode within intermodal door-to-door transport chains focusing on the Danube axis.
ALSO DANUBE aims to:
- Develop and implement an advanced European concept to manage intermodal transport chains with inland navigation as core transport mode;
- Set up and run highly integrated logistic networks and operational platforms to enlarge the current range of logistic services;
- Integrate advanced traffic and transport management systems;
- Introduce new systems and technologies in the area of data exchange and communication;
- Create independent logistic information and communication services.